Old Town Holiday Stroll Kicks Off The Season in Style!
The holiday season kicks off Friday, Dec. 1 in Old Town with the annual Holiday Stroll and Christmas Tree Lighting! This family-friendly community event starts at 5:00 p.m., and offers you a chance to experience an Old Town Christmas! The Tree Lighting is at 6:15 p.m., and this is a great opportunity to support our local vendors and shops. To learn more, visit: http://www.cabq.gov/culturalservices/historic-old-town/old-town-holiday-stroll
NM Gas Company Offers Free Online Savings Tool
Interested in learning how you might conserve natural resources within your home during winter months? The New Mexico Gas Company now has a free analysis tool available to help you. Visit: https://nmgc.energysavvy.com/residential/start/ and start saving today!
Green Waste Pickup Starting Early Next Week
The Solid Waste Department will have green waste pickup starting Monday, Dec. 4 through Friday, Dec. 15 as part of regular trash and recycle collection. Green waste consists of leaves, grass and brush, and must be put into trash bags that do not exceed 40 pounds. To learn more about green waste pickup, visit: www.cabq.gov/solidwaste
Tips to Avoid Holiday Package Theft
With the holiday gift-giving season upon us, the concern about package theft is something on everyone’s mind. Here are a few tips for holiday package safety and theft avoidance:
- If possible, have packages delivered to your office or place of employment.
- Request packages be held at a shipping facility, such as UPS, FedEx, or the U.S. Post Office so you can pick up in person.
- If ordering from a large retailer, request that your package be delivered to a local branch store to be picked up in person.
- Sign up for delivery alerts. The U.S. Postal Service, UPS, and FedEx all offer text and e-mail delivery alert services.
- If you have a trusted neighbor who is home during the day, ask them to keep an eye out for deliveries and have them pick up packages and keep them until you get home.
- If feasible, request that the shipper ask for a signature upon package delivery.
To get more tips and suggestions about crime prevention, visit: http://www.cabq.gov/police/crime-prevention-safety
County Toy Drive Asks for Donations for Those Less Fortunate
Bernalillo County is hosting a toy donation drive starting Monday, Nov. 27 through Friday, Dec. 15, at the South Valley Multipurpose Senior Center. New, unwrapped toys are requested to be given to children less fortunate this holiday season. To learn more about the toy donation drive, visit: http://www.bernco.gov/events.aspx?calEventId=3fb46b6c6ad5431499440ffbe9fc9786#/CalendarContent
Neighborhood Association Meetings Across Town
- Palomas Park NA, Tuesday, Nov 28 at 6:30 p.m. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Historic Old Town Property Owners Association, Wednesday, Nov. 29 at 3:30 p.m. E-mail: email@example.com for more information.
- International Healthy Coalition, Thursday, Nov. 30 at 9:00 a.m. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Open Space Visitor’s Center Hosts Bosque Wild: Guided Nature Walk This Sunday
Want to enjoy the crisp December weather? Join the Open Space’s guided nature walk on Sunday, Dec. 3 at 9:00 a.m., and enjoy the Rio Grande and cottonwoods! To register, call (505) 897-8831 or visit: https://www.cabq.gov/parksandrecreation/open-space
Volunteer Opportunity of the Week
The University of New Mexico (UNM) seeks volunteers for the upcoming Fall Commencement ceremony, happening on Friday, Dec. 15. To sign up online, visit: https://news.unm.edu/news/office-of-the-university-secretary-seeks-volunteers-to-assist-in-fall-commencement-ceremony
Neighborhood Communication Liaison, Office of Neighborhood Coordination (ONC)
City Council Department
(505) 768-3331 Office