International District Festival Offers a Taste of the World
The Albuquerque International Festival takes place Saturday, Sept. 30 at the NM Veteran’s Memorial Park from 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. This festive event features games, face painting, local food trucks offering internationally-themed cuisine, a car show, and much more. To learn more, visit: https://www.visitalbuquerque.org/abq365/events/detail/ABQ-International-Festival-2017/36418/
Fall Fiesta of Flowers Ushers In The Colors of Autumn
Love fall flowers? Take this last opportunity to admire the colors of autumn chrysanthemums starting Monday, Sept. 25 at the Botanic Gardens, Zoo and Tingley Beach. Take your camera and save these fall memories until next spring. Visit: https://www.cabq.gov/culturalservices/biopark/news/fall-fiesta-of-flowers-1 to learn more.
Neighborhood Association Meetings Around Town
- Academy Estates East Neighborhood Association Annual Meeting, Tuesday, Sept. 26, 6:30 p.m., Jewish Community Center, 5520 Wyoming NE. E-mail: email@example.com for more information.
- Palomas Park Neighborhood Association, Tuesday, Sept. 26 at 6:30 p.m. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- North Domingo Baca Neighborhood Association, Tuesday, Sep. 26 at 7:00 p.m., North Domingo Baca Multigenerational Center, 7512 Carmel NE. E-mail: email@example.com for more information.
- Historic Old Town Property Owners, Wednesday, Sept. 27 at 3:30 p.m., High Noon Restaurant in Old Town. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- International Healthy Coalition, Thursday, Sept. 28 at 9:00 a.m., La Mesa Elementary, Portable 3. E-mail: email@example.com for more information.
- District 8 Coalition of Neighborhood Associations, Thursday, Sept. 28 at 7:00 p.m., Holiday Park Community Center, 11710 Comanche NE. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Heritage Hills Neighborhood Association General Meeting, Thursday, Sept. 28 at 7:00 p.m., Dennis Chavez Elementary, Classroom 7&8, 7500 Barstow NE. E-mail: email@example.com for more information.
Adopt a Senior Pet for Only $5.00
Ever wanted a furry companion? This is the time to adopt a senior pet. Help give these furry seniors the happy final years they deserve and consider adoption. Animal Welfare is hosting senior dog and cat adoptions for only $5.00 at all three locations. To learn more about giving a senior pet a happy home, visit: www.cabq.gov/pets
Community Policing Council Meetings Coming Up
- Valley Area Command, Thursday, Sept. 28 at 6:00 p.m., Albuquerque Police Academy Training Center, 5412 2nd NW.
To learn more about the CPCs, get a schedule of meetings, and see CPC board minutes, visit: https://www.cabq.gov/police/community-policing-council
Open Space Hosts Piedras Marcadas Pueblo Tour and Lecture
Join Dr. Matt Schmader at the Open Space on Saturday, Sept. 30 from 9:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m., and learn about the enigmatic Piedras Marcadas Pueblo ruin, one of the most significant cultural sites in the middle Rio Grande Valley. Space is limited, so call (505) 897-8831 to register, or visit: http://www.bernco.gov/openspace
Vermicomposing Class Teaches Gardening With Worms at Juan Tabo Library
Did you know vermicomposting is a bio-friendly and easy way to help your plants and flowers grow? Vermicomposting – or composting with worms – will be on the class agenda at the Juan Tabo Library on Saturday, Sept. 30 from 2:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. And you can visit with the Library worms, too! Visit: http://abqlibrary.org/juantabo to learn more about our squiggly garden friends.
Volunteer Opportunity of the Week
The Albuquerque Reads Program is a literacy development program at Atrisco Elementary, Bel-Air Elementary, and Whittier Elementary Schools. Kindergarteners at these three schools are tutored by volunteers for an hour three mornings per week. If you would like to contribute to a student’s reading improvement, visit: www.abqreads.com to learn more and sign up.
Second Annual “Albuquerque Celebrates Recovery” Honors Individuals Recovering from Addiction
Thursday, Sept. 28 is “Albuquerque Celebrates Recovery” Day, from 10:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. at the Albuquerque Convention Center, as part of a monthlong commemoration of National Recovery Month. This event is designed to bring awareness to substance abuse and recovery, give kudos to those who have fought addiction, and remember those who sadly succumbed. To learn more, visit: www.healingaddictionnm.org or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Won’t You Be My Neighbor?
Has your neighborhood association set up an e-mail address specifically for association business yet? If not, it might be something to consider. It ensures all association e-mail goes to one place consistently, and protects the personal information of the association board members by having one shared e-mail. It’s easy to set up an e-mail account through Hotmail, Yahoo, Google, AOL, and many other web hosting sites, and best of all, it’s free!